Thursday, August 11, 2011

Freezer Paper, Masking Tape and Extruder Guns.

Over the years that I've been making cakes for the kids, I've picked up a few trick here and there.  Every now and then I'll post some of them on here. 

Freezer paper.  I happened upon this trick this year.  I hated cleaning up the table over and over after coloring fondant or rolling it out. It was time consuming and well, I hate the extra work! I was wrapping meat to freeze one night and noticed how smooth the plasticy side was and how it might just solve my little mess issue.  On my next cake I tried it out and fell in love!

 All you have to do is pull off a large section and tape it down.  I used to use the clear tape to try and hold it in place while I worked, but oil from the shortening I used would make it come up. 
 That's when I decided to have my sweet husband pick up some masking tape.  It worked like a charm.  The paper stays in place and because of the plastic cover and oil does not dislodge it.  And when I have to change the paper, I can retape it without worrying about the tape coming up. 
My last tip is if you work with fondant or gumpaste a lot, get a clay extruder! I've been eyeing this bad boy for a while and had the perfect excuse to purchase it!  And with a 40% off coupon to Hobby Lobby, I was able to score it for less than $10!
As you can see, it makes all sorts of shapes. I tried a few of the heads and they are a dream to work with.  Hand rolling ropes and other long shapes was necessary before but time consuming.  This speeds things up dramatically!

1 comment:

Lara said...

ooooh!!! I'm SO looking for one of these extruders on Friday when I go into town!!! Love it!!!